Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, and Human Rights
Chairman Christopher H. Smith (R-NJ)
- Matters affecting the political relations between the United States and other countries and regions, including resolutions or other legislative measures directed to such relations.
- Legislation with respect to disaster assistance outside the Foreign Assistance Act, boundary issues, and international claims.
- Legislation with respect to region- or country-specific loans or other financial relations outside the Foreign Assistance Act.
- Legislation and oversight regarding human rights practices in particular countries.
- Oversight of regional lending institutions.
- Oversight of matters related to the regional activities of the United Nations, of its affiliated agencies, and of other multilateral institutions.
- Identification and development of options for meeting future problems and issues relating to U.S. interests in the region.
- Oversight of base rights and other facilities access agreements and regional security pacts.
- Concurrent oversight jurisdiction with respect to matters assigned to the functional subcommittees insofar as they may affect the region.
- Oversight of foreign assistance activities affecting the region, with the concurrence of the Chairman of the Full Committee.
- Such other matters as the Chairman of the Full Committee may determine.